Re: CFL database

"Dave Houston" wrote:

> Note that the GE paper says, "Lighting has historically consumed
> 17% of all electricity sold in the United States.", citing an EPA
> source. While this is higher than the DOE figures I've cited, it's
> still difficult to see how a switch to CFLs will save 22% or more
> as claimed by the proponents. I'll stick with my figures.

Your figures?  The truth is it's unlikely anyone knows precisely what
percentage of electric energy in the US is consumed by lighting.
I've seen various sites that quote anywhere from 17% to 22% and more.
The issue isn't what percent is being consumed by lighting.  The
concern here (at least among those of us who care at all) is to find
ways to reduce demand.  Using CFLs is one means of reducing demand
since they generate more light per Watt.  Some of us think that
reducing electrical use is a good thing.  Some of us apparently don't
think... so.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass