Re: CFL's & Electronic Ballast bad???

My guess is he was talking about a commercial installation. Newer
high-efficiency electronic ballasts used with straight fluorescent tube
lights can put out a lot of EMI/RFI but these are not all rated for
residential use (per the FCC).

While there have been many reports of conducted CFL noise interfering with
X-10 and Insteon lights, I haven't seen any reports of radiated noise
causing significant interference to radio reception or blocking IR remotes.
Of course, given the lack of enforcement of FCC technical rules, it's always
possible that there may be some CFLs that do put out high levels of EMI and
RFI.

Anything that meets FCC Class B limits (residential) should be OK and most
CFLs are probably rated for residential use.

http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/education_resources/literature_library/ballast/downloads/71881_resi_proline_T8.pdf

http://davehouston.net  http://davehouston.org