Re: d-day

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 20:48:56 -0500, John J. Bengii wrote:
> You delinked each person's comments with their headers and your
> message is hard to associate  now.

Actually not, seems you don't know how to associate the poster's
header with the conversation level (see below).

> Bottom posting was popular before threading browsers were developed
> in the 80s.

And MTV's 'Jackass' is popular now, you're point is?

Please remember that Microsoft is not a standard and something new
doesn't make it better. In fact it's usually an excuse for
laziness. This is a huge problem in business where everyone simply
adds to the top of the stack even when it as simple as adding
'lols'. Microsoft's Outlook and Express are broken. My suggestion is
to get a better product.

> I don't want all the attachments before the text I want to read.

Attachments? I think you mean quoted text, anyway ...

Then how do you follow the conversation especially when you need to
respond to specific points? Most folks I know read top down, not
bottom up.

> Most people can read either format, provided the etxt is trimmed or
> not bottom posted after much nesting ...

Bottom posting has been the standard for a long time (before the
Internet). When one writes a letter or document and quotes a text they
don't put the quote after the comment. Of course that is unless you're
Microsoft. When responding to more than one point top posting is
tedious and does make the conversation more difficult to deal with.
Take this message for example, had I simply top posted none of this
would be in a format that makes sense. You'd rather make the exception
the norm and forget about having a proper conversation.

BTW, it would be good to follow you're own advise and trim. My sig in
the quoted message is unnecessary.

>                                  ... but some have reading
> disabilities.

Since I don't know how a person with reading disabilities reads these
message I must claim ignorance. But if the reader reads the start of
the message and then follows down to the quoted text wouldn't the
conversation be backwards? If the reader skips the quoted text then a
bottom posted message would still just read the unquoted portion of
the message. sounds like a straw man argument to me.

> Look at the mess you have made below.

Below is a logical conversation. For example this header:

>> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:40:55 -0500, John J. Bengii wrote:

matches this section:

>>> Until the inmternal gases are warmed up the bulb is lucky to show
>>> any light at all. Electronic ballasts have helped this problem a
>>> lot.

Note that your comments are at one level higher than your associate
header. I used your comments as an example as you're more likely to
remember them.

> ----------------------------------
> "Neil Cherry" <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Ghost wrote that.

I wrote that.

>>> Until the inmternal gases are warmed up the bulb is lucky to show
>>> any light at all. Electronic ballasts have helped this problem a
>>> lot.

You wrote that.

>> First lets fix the order of the messages ... In case you need to
>> know
>> why:
>>
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
>>    text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>> A: Top-posting.
>> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>>
>> Now on to my comments on the CFL ... My neighbor's CFL never gets
>> past dimly flicking on cold days. It's not really surprising as the
>> area where it's located get the full effects of the wind and the
>> winter night time temperatures routinely drop below 30F.

I wrote that

>> --
>> Linux Home Automation ...

That part is unnecessary to quote.