Re: pre-wire home - best practices?

Don't bother with rg59 cables. Use RG-6 which is capable of satelite
signal bandwidth also. Same connections.

Dual cat5e (I think will handle 1Gbit) is a good idea. Just install
plaster rings and staple a loop above it on the studs. Dummy plate the
plaster rings off after drywall installation. If you ever need them,
pull out the cable from the stud cavity and put a connector on both
ends for use. If you don't ever use them, it will only cost you the
wire and plaster ring (about $0.79). Leav lots of cable in the wall
cavity for a direct connection to your entertainment server or
computer. Forget the fancy wall connections. They cost big bucks and
make another weak spot in your connections

If you are building a two story or split level the upper floor is hard
to access after the fact. Intsall a couple pieces of plastic pipe from
attic to basement where you can put later cables through to the attic
and drop to the needed place via the interior walls. You will need a
to find a way to suspend the pipe so it doesn't fall through. Usually
an exact sized hole and have the flange (female end) hang in the hole.
Plug/tape  the ends for insulation and bug purposes. If you ever need
another connection in the upper floor, attic diving will get your
there. Wear a dust filter mask!

Don't forget you back speakers and ceiling allows everybody to hear
with both ears. Mine bounce off the back wall for an enhanced delay
and lower sound image that is actually behind you.

Heavy speaker wire? Cheap extension cords with heavy gauge wire used
to be cheaper than buying the wire on a spool. Cut the ends off. Even
drill all the holes and put a pull string in for later use. Make it a
good one and pull another one with the new conductor, when you need
it.

Check out the price and life of those projector bulbs. $600 each and
2000 hours max life turned me off. YMMV There is a product called
"goop" that can be painted on walls to avoid the $2K for a projector
screen. Rim it with black felt trim so light spillover is not seen.