Re: Open Source

Robert L Bass wrote:

> There's a parallel in the electronic security industry.

Comparing the home automation industry with the alarm *trade* is
ludicrous.  There *are* no "parallels".

> I'm an alarm
> system dealer spending over $1M a year on alarm parts.

Who with?  GE?  Elk?  ADI?  You're "small potatoes" to every one I
mentioned.  You're not even "on the radar".  ADI purchases over $1M,
Brinks is a close second (we're on the subject of "alarm parts", not
CCTV, commercial fire alarm, or access control just so that we're "clear").

> An end user
> spends between $500 and $3000 on alarm parts once every five or ten
> years.

I have end users that don't spend that much in fifteen years.  It's
really hard to convince someone to upgrade their equipment when they're
happy with the original installation and it meets their needs.  You do a
proper job of selling the job in the first place and you won't ever see
them again.  :-)

> Honeywell (one of our manufacturers)

Honeywell is a manufacturer you represent (and you do a piss-poor job at
that).  It's strange how you're a supposed "Napco" expert, yet you never
mention them.  In threads involving Ademco equipment (which you *say*
you represent), you're strangely silent.  Why is that, you suppose?

> offers me unlimited tech
> support but they won't even talk to an end user.

When's the last time you called them???

> The reasons are simple
> enough.  They have only just so many engineers and if they spend their
> time talking to John Q Public they won't have enough staff to talk to
> people like me.  There's another, darker reason as well.

Oh no!!!  The "darker reason".  I just knew there had to be one.

> Many alarm
> dealers won't buy from a manufacturer who supports end users.

Nope.  That's not it.  Many manufacturers won't sell to end users.
Alarm installation manuals aren't written for them.  Many end users are
unaware of specific code issues, NEC, or the proper way to wire a panel.
  End users aren't invited to manufacturer sponsored training seminars.
  Many manufacturers (or their distributors) won't even sell to
unlicensed dealers/stores.  How is it you get around that one??

> Fortunately, the home automation industry doesn't precisely parallel the
> alarm trade in that respect.

Exactly.  So starting off this paragraph with "there's a parallel in the
electronic security industry" was completely incorrect.

I fully expect you will not respond to this post.  I'm sure Kearney will
(on your behalf) though.  :-)