Re: Expensive cable!

BruceR wrote:
> Now, if one could actually HEAR a difference THAT would
> be something!

I went to high school with some certified SMFs (smart mothertruckers).
One of these SMFs took his money from starting one of the first IBM PC
clone companies (back when you made and burned your own BIOS) and
started a high end audio company. Since I always respected this guy's
intelligence and engineering abilities I spent an afternoon with him at
his shop. Dollar wise the sky was the limit. Silver solder and wire, $25
capacitors, power supplies in separate boxes. We spent about 5 hours.

For what I listen to there was no difference.

He had a ambient sound recording from a jungle in Africa. We started
with a fairly stock system and listened. As extremely esoteric parts
were added or swapped the results were amazing. The ability to hear more
sounds improved as the $$ went up. Just to be sure I had him remove
items one at a time and the sounds disappeared.

I was a MAJOR skeptic and came in expecting to not hear a difference and
didn't on the CDs I listened to regularly. Since I don't normally listen
to ambient jungle sounds the extra thousands of $$ would be wasted. Much
to his credit he didn't try to sell me anything. It was just a chance
for him to share his knowledge.

But I did hear a difference.

My personal opinion is that if you are seriously into audio you need to
find a SMF in your area and spend some time with recordings you know. If
you can hear a difference and have the money why not make yourself
happy. Any worthwhile high end audio shop will be willing to spend the
time letting you decide for yourself. Mail order is NOT the way to
pursue such a hobby.