Re: Roomba 570 problems

"Brian W. Antoine" <briana@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> I guess the moral of the story is to only buy the refurbed ones,
> not the new ones. :)

I have five new ones I got from Outpost.com (spits in disgust!) and two have
given me trouble.  One had "the death spiral" (apparently a fair number do
although mine was preceded by a rather abrupt drop when the bin detached
from the unit during an "airlift" - they really need a better locking
mechanism for it).  In any event, it was exchanged promptly for new by
Roomba.  The other became very noisy after sucking down an overload of kitty
litter but still works.

The "DirtDog" Roombas keep trying to shove more dirt in the tray when full
so the dust begins to spill out into the machine's gizzards.  The DirtDogs
really need some sort of "full" sensor to shut them down or at least a
transparent window on the dust bin - which I may cut into mine when the
warranty is up.  I haven't yet tried to thoroughly clean the kitty littered
OD bot yet.  I need to get some new canned air for that procedure.

Maybe I can cut a hole in the bin and adapt the whistle from whistling
furnace filters to warn me when the Roomba is getting clogged up.

I found that the first few times I ran them, they filled up almost
immediately because they were reaching so deep into the carpet to loosen
dirt.  Now, they really can go three cleanings without needing emptying.

Dan, if you're reading this, if HS becomes unwilling to pay shipping,
consider contacting Roomba directly.

--
Bobby G.