Re: XPS3 Strangeness

"David White" <whitedavidp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3uednTL_C_LJJ47VnZ2dnUVZ_qqgnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thanks for the response Bruce. I had not heard of the XTB units. But in
> my old house I had a SmartHome SignalLinc (no booster) in my dryer
> outlet. It will not fit my dryer in the new house though (and there is
> not enough room behind to fit).
>
> If I understand the SignalLinc and BoosterLinc operation, they both are
> attempting to create a better bridge across the two sides of my electric
> panel so that signals can pass more easily (the booster adds some form
> of signal amplification). Is this correct and true also of Jeff's units?

Yes.  I've been so impressed by its performance that I wrote an article
about it for Hometoys:

http://www.hometoys.com/ezine/08.04/green/xtb.htm

Since I installed the XTB-IIR (the coupler/repeater version) my X-10 stuff
just works and that's really much greater praise than it sounds.
Unfortunately, it sounds like you'll have to get an electrician to install
it.  That's easier than it sounds, because it basically means installing a
new 240VAC outlet somewhere, hopefully near the circuit panel.  It increase
the power of the X-10 signal (according to the formula P=VA) nearly 25 times
over the standard X-10 signal.  So far, the only problem has been a chime
module that "sings" softly whenever the XTB transmits, and that was solved
by moving it further away from the XTB.