Re: firewater?

RickH <passport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Sep 11, 10:36 am, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
>> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BURNING_SEAWATER?SITE=AP&SECTI...
>

>This is huge if true, from my understanding cracking out hydrogen has
>been the hurdle for the efficient development of fuel cells.  Current
>research is pursuing getting the hydrogen from methane, ethane,
>propane, butane, etc.  But if solar power can be used to generate the
>needed RF energy, releasing the hydrogen on a massive scale, fuel
>cells can be manufacured and recharged at a very low cost considering
>seawater and sunshine are very abundant and free.  Amazing.

Both this and the Purdue project may have application as "hydrogen on
demand" methods. Some tree-huggers are impressed with the Purdue project.

http://www.greengeek.ca/2007/05/20/new-aluminum-alloy-generates-hydrogen-on-demand/

It notes that it's possible to achieve 75% efficiency using hydrogen fuel
cells but there are problems with recycling the materials.

Another place where it might have application is as storage batteries to
store power from wind generators. AEP has announced plans to install
sodium-sulphur batteries for this purpose but using the aluminum-gallium
method to store wind generated power at a generating plant and recycling the
alumina there might make sense.

There were several other articles online about the saltwater method. Most
were regurgitations of the original stories from a TV station in Erie, PA. I
saw some articles where Kanzius claimed energy output exceeded energy input
but am not confident these were accurate. A chemistry professor at Penn
State thinks it's worth further study and is looking for funding.

As far as being off topic, how can something that generates light and heat
not be on topic? ;)