Re: Pool Heat Automation Suggestions

"Richard Kaplan" <rkaplan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:46f5a910$0$26465

> then the odds of my finding someone with such experience for a
> year-round Pennsylvania pool are pretty small.

They are if you don't search at all.  (-:  Don't give up so quickly.

There are some serious advantages to using local contractors.  Experience
with local codes and the AHJ - (authority having jurisdiction) is worth an
awful lot.  Especially when dealing with something likely to involve three
code sensitive areas (plumbing, electrical and gas) working together under
unattended control.  You don't want to find out your local authority has a
particular gripe against something you might select.  You'd be surprised at
how many pool contractors are "home automation smart."  The X-10 protocol
analyzer that's often mentioned here:

http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/53/sesent/00

(as well as a lot of other pool automation equipment) was designed by a pool
contractor.

Another reason to at least try to find a local contractor is that you may
want to have someone maintain and service it.  I've found over the years
that presenting an installer with equipment you got elsewhere usually
doesn't inspire them to take "ownership" of the project.  Anything that goes
wrong is likely to be blamed on the gear they felt was forced on them.  A
bad pool install can present some pretty lethal hazards, too.  Carbon
monoxide poisoning and electrocution lead the list for an installation that
uses a gas heater.

Get the smarts you need from the many pool owner/automators here and in
other groups and then use that knowledge to find a local contractor who
knows all the HA buzzwords they should.  If that search fails, then at least
look for someone who can implement your plan and get it past inspection in
your jurisdiction.

Try Worthington Distribution.  Like you, they are in Pennsylvania and some
would say they're the biggest HA outlet on the East Coast.

www.worthdist.com/

They have an 800 number and you can probably get the name of a highly
qualified home automation-savvy pool contractor as they sell a lot of pool
automation gear.  Ask for Rich.  (800) 949-6255

No financial interest other than as a satisfied customer of Worthington's.

--
Bobby G.