Re: Cause of some major X10 problems found

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>What I don't understand about the Bloom theory as it might apply here is why
>aren't the lights flashing off and on rapidly in response to the apparently
>continuous noise?  I'm assuming it's fairly constant in amplitude so if the
>switches are truly that susceptible, they should be going on and off like
>crazy, shouldn't they?  If, however, they're responding to a single 11 cycle
>signal they see as valid generated out of random noise, one would expect a
>very much more infrequent activation.  That latter case sounds more like
>what we're seeing.  Activations that occur after 10's of thousands of random
>bits have been thrown onto the line.

You're reaching for something that's not there. There were no reports of
random OFFs with the WS467 only random ONs. In my case (which was actually
with a screw-in lamp module) there were OFFs but never any ONs.  Without
having the source code for the firmware one can only speculate about the
"why" but the facts that grounding the pin cured that case while replacing
the lamp module with a different model cured mine is overwhelming evidence
that those models were susceptible to direct noise effects. Even X-10 has
noted that spikes can cause problems in one of their FAQs.