Re: Speech recognition system for Home automation.

On Sep 9, 7:15 am, Soren <soren.skou.niel...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at possibilities of constructing a relatively cheap home
> speech recognition system to turn appliances on and off. As i see it I
> have several options:
>
> - Use a computer:   Pros: Good Software is easy to get, Probably the
> fastest way to get a system. Devices could be run from the serial/
> parallel port.
>                              Cons: Expensive solution for such a
> "simple task". Computer must be dedicated and run all the time = high
> power consumption = expensive.
>
> - Build a system from speech recognition IC's or Microcontrollers:
>                             Pros: Components are relatively cheap, Low
> power consumption, Good recognition rate
>                             Cons: Components are often SMD's (haven't
> found any that are not) which means specialized equipment is to be
> used. Demo/development boards costs too much to justify its use. Maybe
> long development time.
>
> - Buy Specialized solution:
>                             Pros: Plug'n'play
>                             Cons: Extremely expensive, removes the fun
> of DIY :)
>
> What I really need is a robust recognition system that works with
> microphones not placed directly in front of the speaker.. like in the
> corner of the living room.
>
> Does anyone here know of such a system, or tried to develop one? It
> only needs to recognize 5-10 words. It's really a "toy" project.
>
> Thanks,
> Soren

Ideally I'd like to see Insteon keypad/paddle switches with a mic and
local voice recognition that allow you to enter a few dozen words that
simply map to the hard switches, for dual voice/finger control.  All
self contained in a voice chip, no computer.  If you can make one of
those, I'd buy it.  It should also of course have a way to disable/
enable voice control for the switch, and it should at least be
trainable to support the voices of 4 different persons.  So a typical
8 button keypad would need room for 40 voice commands (5 per switch)

click (toggle)
on (explicit on for convenience)
off (explicit off for convenience)
holddown (for dim brt)
letgo (to end dim brt)

(or whatever voice commands make sense for what your fingers would be
doing)

times 4 people, so 160 programmable voice commands.

With switches like this it would be a snap to make an entire home
voice controllable, as the numerous localized microphones would
increase dependability with ambient noises and be more intuitive as to
what part of the wall/room you need to talk to.

The deluxe model of such a switch can also contain a proximity sensor
that will only enable "listening" when there is a human within 10 feet
or so (adjustable).

These would be great for handicapped homes, etc where getting to the
switch alone might be a chore.  Downstream loads can then respond to
normal Insteaon or X10 switch mappings.

Can you make one of these given that Insteon is a licenseable chip and
you already seem to have a handle on the voice chip?