Home automation in Europe

As I live I Europe, how developed is home automation here/there. I see lots
of hardwired products and every manufacture has its own solution and what
personally I don't like is no possibility to combine products from different
manufactures (not sure if this is true). And this is not the case with X10
or Z-Wave (those two are communication protocols). E.g. I found 15 different
(price and design) remote controls for X10 while you have only two ("old"
and "new" version) from a certain German company. And on the other hand
hardwired is expensive and difficult to install in "old" house or apartment.

I ask this because the difference between 120 and 230 Volts, so buying in
the US is not the option (e.g. switches). So are there any European
companies that develop or sell their on X10 or Z-Wave products for 230
Volts. Remote controls are not the problem, they go on batteries J