Napco Panel, X10 Use, HA Software - HELP!

I currently have a Napco Gemini P816 panel serving as my alarm panel.
I also have a GEM-X10 module (which I haven't installed yet) and an
always-on PC providing home automation functions. The PC will
communicate X10 and Insteon (light fixtures) using a PLC right now,
but will eventually support whole-house audio, phone line integration
(including voice commands), HVAC tie-in, etc.

All of my doors and windows are wired up to the P816 panel, which,
from what I understand supports the GEM-X10 module but does a very
poor job of it. The GEM-X10 module seems to appear to the panel as a
group of relays, which I believe I can only "trigger" (e.g. send an
X10 command to my PC) on EVENT changes. I've viewed the event log
(through the serial adaptor add-on and QuickLoader software) and I
only see alarm status changes (e.g, Alarm Armed, Alarm Disarmed, Alarm
Activated or Deactivated). I don't see any "events" for zone status
changes, such as when the front door is opened.

My intent is to be able to monitor each zone to send a command to the
PC to make an intelligent HA decision on what to do with it. For
example, when the front door is opened, send an insteon command to
turn on all the lights on the first floor. Or when a window is opened,
turn off the AC unit. Or when the alarm is triggered, blink all the
lights in the house (successive commands of "instant on", "instant
off").

I believe there are a few ways I can fix this situation, assuming the
P816 does not have the capabilities to do what I am trying to do:

1) Replace the panel with a P3200, P9600, or Elk M1G or some other
type of panel. Would I need more than a P3200 to do what I am trying
to do? I realize a panel like the Elk M1G can automate a lot of the
current functions I am planning to do with the PC, but I don't mind
having the always-on PC. I believe this would give me more options and
capabilities as long as I don't mind having the PC running 24/7/365.

If I did decide to change the panel, is it fairly straightforward?
Could I simply "download" the configuration from the P816 through the
Quickloader software and "upload" it to the P3200? I have the dealer
code, but I'm not sure if configurations can be easily "ported" like
this from one model to another.

2) Another option might be to somehow split (y-out) the door and
windows contact terminals before they get to the P816 panel into a
device such as the Smarthome EZIO 4 Input/2 Output Relay Controller
(http://www.smarthome.com/31274.html). I'm not sure if this would do
exactly what I am trying to do though, since I'm not that familiar
with the product. Also, I don't know if I would need any additional
resistors or if it's even possible to split the contacts into this
second device (either in parallel or serial). Assuming I could split
the contacts, are there any other devices that can send X10/Insteon or
some other HA-software-compatible commands by contact status changes?

Any help or suggestions you can provide are greatly appreciated!
Ken