Re: X-10 Broadcast Storm Detector

I don't think there's anything special about the transformer. When I first
reviewed the ESM1, shortly after it was introduced, I was attacked rather
viciously by Claus Vader and someone who claimed to have designed it who
further claimed the readings could be influenced by placing the electronic
unit close to the transformer.

I contacted the company who designed it who had hired someone else to
redesign it (the original had a different name) and I subsequently had an
exchange of emails with both the owner and engineer (Paul Beam) although I
don't recall asking specifically whether there was anything special about
the transformer. Anyway, I tested for transformer induced effects and found
none. I went further, replacing the transformer with one I got from Jameco
and found no measurable difference in performance so I suspect any of the
12V AC wall transformers you may have will work equally well.

This was all before Elk bought the rights to it. Brian Karas was pondering
buying the rights before Elk got involved and I had volunteered to write a
Windows interface if Paul would add an RS232 output.

9V AC may not hurt anything but will certainly affect the calibration as you
will be getting less than ±18V DC for the opamp. There's no regulation on
these supplies.