Re: X-10 Broadcast Storm Detector

ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx (Robert Green) writes:

> | I've been reading up on the 555 chip and they're incredibly powerful
little
> | devices with lots of capabilities.
>
> The original 555 had the capability to put incredibly powerful spikes on
> the supply line.  IMHO it was one of the most over-rated components of
> all time... :)

Hopefully that "feature" won't affect me too negatively.  I'm using it to be
able to easily adjust the length of time I use to define a broadcast storm
and possibly to stretch out the brief pulses from the LEDs to insure that
they register.  The 555 is able to sink enough current to enable me to
interface easily with sound and light indications and that's another reason
I chose it.

I realize that this is probably a job better suited to a PIC of some sort,
but unfortunately I'm barely experienced enough in 555 circuits to get by.
Moving to a PIC would add a lot of powerful abilities and features, but
would also increase the complexity.  Since I've already gotten the AC/DC
input question wrong, I think sticking with simple is better, at least for
me!  If I were able to program PICs in my sleep like you, Dave and Jeff, it
would be a piece of cake, I'm sure, but I'll just have to muddle through
with my archaic 555 circuitry, even if it's as spiky as punk rocker's
hairdo.  (-:

--
Bobby G.