Re: Strange IR emitter problem

Dave Houston wrote:
> Lewis Gardner <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>If changing the
>>placement of the IR receiver cannot solve this problem then the 291-80
>>CFL friendly receiver is your next step.
>

> Lewis,
>
> How much of a problem do CFLs create for IR receivers? Is the interference
> filtering on the +12V or in the IR circuits? IOW, do the CFLs emit high
> level IR in the frequency range typically used by remotes or is it just the
> conducted noise that's also a problem for powerline carriers that's an
> issue. I can see how filtering the +12V can be done but not how any
> filtering can tell spurious IR emissions from legitimate ones.

Haven't given much research to the cause of the problem.

During installs I put a Xantech 291-10 in place first and if it works
fine. If not I replace it with a Xantech 291-80 and in most cases the
problem goes away. Usually the 291-10 will exhibit flashing of the
talkback LED and the 291-80 won't. In many cases there are no CFLs in
the vicinity.

I would assume it is not a power supply issue since the same power
supply works in either case.

I would use the 291-80 exclusively but 291-10s keep finding their way
into my IR install box. The 291-80s are about $20 more but save a bunch
of frustration. Here is the PDF:

http://www.xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_29180.pdf

Overall I have found Xantech stuff to be quite reliable and well worth
the money. Other that the issues listed in my last reply the only other
problems I have found are:

4. The power supply needs to be 12 volts. Regulated supplies required.
Currently I am using CUI part number DPS120100UPS-P5P-SZ switch mode
power supplies from Digikey. They are small and usually take only one
outlet space. On review I may get some EPS120050-P5P units since 500 mA
is more than enough for a small system and they cost about 1/3 of the 1
amp units.

5. Mis wiring. I recall a problem where the ground and signal wires (I
think...) were reversed and while the talkback LED flashed IR
communication was flaky at best.

Other than these 5 issues (common to all repeater systems) I have only
had 1 normal piece of equipment that could not be reliably controlled
with a repeater system. Of course this is normal equipment. Some high
end stuff like B&O use a very high carrier frequency and need special stuff.