Re: Strange IR emitter problem

Dave Leon wrote:

> I changed nothing when it stopped
> responding to the Xantech system.

Something has to have changed.

The most common problems I have found with IR repeaters are:

1. The controlled device "sees" both the IR from the remote and the
flasher. This causes the IR signal to get scrambled. The Xantech MS-1 or
aluminum foil can help with this problem.

2. The IR flasher is too bright for the IR receiver on the controlled
device. Moving the flasher away from the IR pickup on the controlled
device or attenuating the flasher with various materials can help with this.

3. Unwanted signals are getting into the repeater system and distorting
the signal. Make sure the talkback LED on the IR receiver is not
flickering when no IR remote signal is present. If changing the
placement of the IR receiver cannot solve this problem then the 291-80
CFL friendly receiver is your next step.

If none of these fix the problem then you may have a problem in the IR
section of the Yamaha receiver. I had a ReplayTV unit that worked fine
with a remote but not with a repeater, just like your problem. The fix
was to "hotwire" the IR into the unit. Experience with a soldering iron
and scope are handy with this sort of modification.

Best of luck.