Re: Wil I be able to use a Z-Wave controller

Frank Olson <Use-the-email-links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Dave Houston wrote:
>
>> The FCC limits the radiated power in this band (908.42MHz) to 1mW (Europe
>> allows 25mW @ 868.42MHz, Canada tends to follow the FCC). What the FCC tries
>> to do is allow increased power at higher frequencies (it's much lower at the
>> 310MHz used by X-10) to compensate for the fact that higher frequencies
>> don't travel as far and thus give approximately equal range across the
>> ~200kHz-1GHz Part 15 spectrum. So 20-30' is what you can reasonably expect
>> from any Part 15 transmitter in these frequency bands and anyone who claims
>> significantly more is full of it. For example, Lutron RA says their nodes
>> need to be within 27' of each other.
>>
>> I'll stick with my recommended 20-25' for reliability.
>
>That makes perfect sense to me.  Bass will, of course, argue the point
>because it's "you" and I happen to agree.  Next thing he'll tell us is
>that's illegal to hook up a 110VAC smoke alarm to a home security
>system.  ;-)

Well, just in case...

The Z-Wave devices are fixed frequency, so Section 15.209 is applicable.

     http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/part15-9-20-07.pdf

As you can see from p84 of, it supports what I've posted.

Someone deliberately trying to mislead people might cite...

Section 15.247 Operation within the bands 902 - 928 MHz, 2400 - 2483.5 MHz,
and 5725 - 5850 MHz.

on p104 while skipping paragraph (a) of it which says...

(a) Operation under the provisions of this Section is limited to frequency
hopping and digitally modulated intentional radiators that comply with the
following provisions: