Strange IR emitter problem

Ok, I have a Xantech IR receiver by my television. It has the supplied IR
emitters to a cabinet where the stereo, DVD and HD-directivo are located.
Ok, the Xantch delivers the IR signals just fine to everything except the
stereo. I've replaced the Xantech receiver and the emitter. Still,
everything but the stereo can be controlled. Changing the location of the IR
emitter didn't help.

I then tried replacing the Xantech with an X10 powermid. Now everything
works. The problem? The X10 powermid blocks the UHF remote for my old timey
C-band satellite dish. Argh.

Any ideas on what could cause this kind of behavior?

TIA,
Dave