Re: Wil I be able to use a Z-Wave controller

>>> They say you need a node every 30' "typically" while I've said
>>> 20-25' for reliability, especially in in an unfriendly RF
>>> environment.
>>
>> They base their numbers on actual tests in real world
>> environments.  You base your numbers on... nothing.
>
> Are you asserting that reliability can be achieved by installation
> of nodes spaced at the "typical" distance?  I hope not.

I'm basing it on a combination of answers from *tech support and 30
years of real world experience in the industry -- 24 of those years
spent installing and trouble-shooting.

*For example, ACT makes a line of Z-Wave devices with 4-hop
capability.  They test to 100' in open space.  In my experience with
RF devices, I've found that works out comfortably to a 30 foot "real
world" range with room to spare.

Now, if you're asking for 100% reliability in any and every possible
construction type, use a hard-wired system.  But if you want to know
what Z-Wave can do, it works well with up to 30' spacing.  If you are
installing a number of Z-Wave devices throughout the premises and one
path becomes blocked the system will reroute the signals via another
unit.

Is it 100% reliable?  No, nothing is, but it's close enough and with
redundant pathways it approaches 100%.  Considering the most popular
HA protocol is X10 with all of its quirks and foibles, Z-Wave is a
serious contender.  It can and does handle mid to large homes
reliably.  There are numerous homes in the 5-8,000 sf range
successfully using Z-Wave with only 4 hops.  With the release of
8-hop systems, Z-Wave can now control extremely large homes...
reliably.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass