Installers advice needed, home less than 1000 sf

As I see it, there are lots of question on the groups for home automation
for individual houses with more then 3000 sf.  But I have 5 approximately
900 sf apartments in one house and as I see it there are some problems.

First, I can't have always-on PC because of a problem with space in each
apartment. I was thinking of using some sort of home automation controller
like Cortexa, Homeseer or Control4. Are there any others? But the price of
single controller to be in every apartment is just to high for controlling
only 3 scene switches, temperature (HVAC), door camera, access via mobile
phone and few door/window sensors.

I was thinking of buying only one good (high tech) controller and control
the whole house (5*900=4500 sf) but separate it on 5 individual zones
(apartments) with shared security, weather station, surveillance (camera and
sensors), light on staircase and so on. But with individual/separated light
control (scene), HVAC, mobile phone, internet access, drape control
(connected with a weather station) in every apartment. Are there any
controllers able to do that?

Do you have any other suggestions or idea? How to automate a house with 5
apartments?

Thanks.