Re: Need more input

Les,

I was also thinking RS485 as the link between main house and outliers. You
could use almost any RS232 device on the remote ends, using RS485
converters. That way you could use Insteon using the 2414S PLC with
standalone capability but still communicate with it via RS485 from a PC or
panel in the main house. You might try asking questions on the Smarthome
Insteon forum.

     http://www.techmall.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9

If you plan to have networked PCs in all locations you might just do the
communication at that level. While it's poorly documented, the SimpleLAN
device is a serial/ethernet converter that uses AT commands.

     http://www.avcomtec.com/main.sc

I suspect either Insteon or UPB will work over 120VAC (Will it be 230VAC
with remote subpanels?) powerlines, even at 500', but would test before
investing a lot in either. If not, then you can look at RS485.

I'm no expert on security systems but most of the better ones allow for some
degree of integration with HA. I think most people probably have some
integration but the security system doesn't control all HA devices. John
Jones is a retired electrician who has the Elk panel. You can trust his
input as he's not trying to sell you anything.