Re: Insteon touchscreen

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:26:06 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote
in message  <472381c8.575377843@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2131
>
>There's no price given in the thread but it will likely cause a lot of
>interest.

If it sells for the reported price of  $450-$500 + cost of Power Line Modem
(PLM) = >$500, I expect to be of near-zero immediate interest to the
informed DIY crowd in part because at this writing, SmartHome / SmartLabs
has not satisfactorily resolved underlying communication problems. And I
see scant evident of progress in the developer forums.

Until and unless the current issues in using more than one interface device
(either PLM or Power Line Controller --PLC) simultaneously are resolved,
the choice for a dependable automated INSTEON system is between *either*
the not-yet-available INSTEON Touchscreen *or* PC control (Windows or
Linux) *or* a non-PC panel (eg Elk M1G).

And, as best I know, SmartLabs has yet to solve the PLx lockup problems
that plague large or very active INSTEON installations with even a single
PLx. This would also seem to be a precondition for satisfactory adoption of
the INSTEON touchscreen in large systems.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org