Re: Serial IR receiver problem

> Does anyone has any ideas what can cause this? I've tried to use
> different USB ports on the computer, different USB cables but no
> change. I tried to change the IRQ channel of the com port, but that
> didn't have any effect.

Can you try using (or adding) a different USB host controller card?  It may
be an issue with the driver for your current USB ports.  But then again, it
may also be a problem with how the driver for the Skype is written.

You may also have a problem with how the IRQs are configured on the machine.
Or even with how the IRQ handler driver software is set up.  Things like VIA
chipsets have been notorious for driver issues (but not them alone).

As has been suggested, your best best will most likely be to switch to using
a USB IR device like the USB-UIRT.  The winlirc device depends on monitoring
the serial port in a way that's extremely dependent on timing.  Anything
that disrupts the timing (like a poorly written driver on a slow machine)
will cause trouble.  Moving to a device designed to properly handle IR
signals is a better idea.

By the time you rejigger the IRQs, drivers, PCI cards and the like buying a
USB-UIRT will seem like a bargain compared to the frustration.

-Bill Kearney