Problem With X10 Transceiver Module (RR501)

I got this thing many years ago in a group-buy of new X10 stuff from
X10.com. Never needed it until now. I need and extra lamp module and
figured I could just use this. No need for radio-control, just want
control from normal, wired controllers.

But the thing does not appear to be working. In the online manual, I read:

1. Plug the RR501 Transceiver into any 120V AC outlet. Fully
extend its antenna.
2. Use a dime to set the Housecode dial on the RR501 to match the
X10 Modules and remote control you will be using it with.
3. Set the slide switch on the RR501 to the code you want it to
respond to (1 or 9).
4. Plug a lamp or appliance into the outlet on the RR501 (observe
the ratings on the back of the RR501).
5. Press the small button on the RR501 to test that the lamp/
appliance goes on and off.

I get nothing when pressing the small button. Further, when I try to
control it using a controller plugged into the same outlet, I get
nothing. I am sure the house and unit codes are set appropriately.

Is this thing just dead? Perhaps it was DOA? Do X10 modules die just
lying around in a box? Is there anything I can try inside to fix this thing?

Thanks.