Whole house block

My whole house block (PZZ01) is now sitting on my neutral line. I did
look inside it before I installed it. A few RF coils, an address
switch wheel (?) and the ferrite assembly.

Anybody ever taken one of these things apart and figured out how they
are intended to work? I also have an XTB II on order, and have to
figure out how to set all this up.

My working hypotheses is that I will get best results from simply
shorting L1, L2, L3 and neutral together at the device (i.e. not wired
to the breakers), creating a blocking  filter for incoming (and
outoing) X10 signals. Then I can rely on either the XTB II alone, or a
one-legged XTB II and my existing active coupler.

If it is an active device, then my hypothesis is incorrect.