INSTEON Power Line Modem now available

An RS-232  Power Line Modem (PLM) for INSTEON ( part number 2412S) is
now available from Smarthome. A USB version is expected to follow. The
modem is dumber and simpler to communicate with than the PowerLinc
Controller (PLC).

I 'suspect' that some developers (i.e., those unsuccessful in
finishing and releasing code/firmware for the more complex PLC and
Smarthome Device Manager --SDM)  will switch to the PLM interface.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org

SmartLabs release below:

Effective today, the Power Line Modem with a serial interface is now
available for sale from Smarthome.
Smarthome.com expects to have their web page live in the next day or
so for online ordering. In the mean time, you or your customers may
order by calling into the Smarthome customer service center and
ordering part number 2412S. The retail price is $59.99.
We plan to have a USB version available in limited quanities during
June.
During the development phase of the product, we sent 179 sample
modules to 42 different developers like you. We received more feedback
and suggestions for this product than anything we had ever done going
back to our first product development efforts over 10 years ago.
We anticipate putting more focus on the Power Line Modem series of
products and encouraging all new and existing third party developers
to use PLM. To recap the differences between PLM and the current
PowerLinc V2 Controller (PLC) series:
"	PLM does not have the ability to accept a download
"	PLM does not have an internal clock like PLC
"	The controller or host connected to PLM must remain on all the
time
"	PLM 'speaks' a different language than the PLC so software
made to work with the PLC will not directly work with PLM
"	SmartLabs' HouseLinc Desktop and Smarthome Timer software will
NOT work with PLM
"	There is no Smarthome Device Manager (SDM) running on the
computer to ease communications between it and the interface
"	There is no SALad download for the PLM like there is for the
PLC
"	You, the developer, have more direct control of the PLM and
greater responsibility to interpret PLM's messages to your
application.
"	The circuitry between the two is nearly identical, but we have
disabled the circuit that sometimes causes the PLC to overheat and
distort the plastic case
"	Supports Insteon Extended messages
"	Uses simple RS-232 commands so anything with a programmable
serial port could be set up to easily send Insteon commands (HAI
panels, Stargate, Homevision, RCS controllers)
"	PLM now has increased reliability
We realize many developers were just waiting for the release of the
product before flipping on the switch to support PLM. The product is
now live and released.