Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

My experience has been worse but I keeping hoping the next batch of bulbs
will be better, and so far, that's been true.  For the most part, the newer
bulbs seem to start faster, last longer and interfere less with X-10.  But a
bulb that emits thick (probably very toxic) smoke when it fails isn't an
improvement, it's a serious setback.

All the assumptions built into the payback equation that we can't verify
personally bother me.  It's not a leap to assume that if the claims about
longevity that I can personally verify are inaccurate, other claims may be
dubious as well, particularly as to exactly where all the mercury goes and
how much of it ends up there.  Mercury is bad stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease  (look closely at that hand!)

Fixing a pollution problem with a pollutant seems too similar to fixing the
cane beetle problem in Oz by introducing the cane toad,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_Toad

which is now the far larger pest.  Catch both pollutants at the smokestacks.
Don't depend on rosy projections of super long bulb life, reduced overall
electrical demand and responsible recycling that may not quite happen as
predicted.

--
Bobby G.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=aa7796...

http://dafnwebpd.sylvania.com/idmweb/doccontent.dll?LibraryName=ecomcspd^daf
nctpd&SystemType=2&LogonId=f7eecb462aecb681dcfbdc3351d22153&DocId=003694126&
Page=1