Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

The EPA has a step-by-step procedure for cleaning up after breaking a
fluorescent.

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

Scroll down to "How should I clean up a broken fluorescent bulb?"