CFL v. Tungsten - what are the REAL costs? (was Re: N:Vision CFL's)

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Thread subject changed to reflect the descent into a grammatical, rather
that a substantive, quibble and to spare the poor people looking for purely
technical information about the N:Voice bulbs.

> >> [Mercury discussion unrelated to subject deleted]
> >
> >[More that just "mercury" discussion unrelated to subject restored!!!!]
> >
> ><<I was referring to what happens in areas that use no coal.  It
complicates
> >the mercury equation in Norway, at least.  They were putting no mercury
in
> >the environment before but the use of CFL bulbs gives them a recycling
> >issue.
>
> First a response to the substance of the discussion in brief:  As I posted
in
> part earlier, this is incorrect in part:

Yes, I could have written more precisely and said "for every tungsten bulb
replaced by a CFL in Norway they are adding mercury to their environment
where they were not because they do not generate much electricity from
coal."  I had hoped that meaning was self-evident from the context.  I'll
remember to write for you accordingly and as if a team of editors and
Philadelphia lawyers were going to parse my every word.  Or not.  (-:

Is it possible a man with a CV as long as my arm didn't know that we were
talking about tungsten v. CFL replacement cost equations?  I am going to
rein in your very impressive dissertation and return the original subject:
attempting to compute the true costs of switching from tungsten to CFL
bulbs.   Should I believe that I am going to save (up to) $154 as one
N:Vision bulb package proudly proclaims, or are there other costs that might
not appear until years from now?

When a *tungsten* bulb is replaced with a CFL, there is mercury in that
latter that has to go somewhere, eventually.  Household-use tungsten bulbs
do not need mercury to function.  Or is that in dispute?  Tungsten bulbs may
(or may not) put mercury in the air indirectly depending on whether they are