Re: Drilling for conduit

"Bill Stock"  wrote ...
> I'd like to run some 2" flexible conduit from the basement to the second
> floor (possibly attic). I've already got several smaller holes drilled
> I've read that a forstener bit with a right angle adapter is the best tool
> for the job. But considering I need to drill about 12", I'm wondering how
> difficult it is to control this beast and keep the hole close to straight.
> I know from my previous adventures that the three stud walls don't line up
> too well. I was hoping that there is some sort of guide that I could mount
> between the studs to keep the hole straight.
>
> Any insights appreciated.

Milwaukee makes some drills specifically for this purpose.  They are similar
to forstner bits except that the outer ring has many teeth along it (but not
as many as a hole saw) and there is a screw center to help pull the bit into
the wood.

I like the idea of using a right angle adapter.  I have been wondering how I
am going to get the bit and drill close enough to straight without making a
massive hole in the wall.

I would think that once you get the hole started in line with your hole in
the wall, that it would be easy to see when a right angle adapter was square
to the wall.

--
Bill Fuhrmann