Re: N:Vision CFL's

"Slammer" <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>But why?  Consumers are charged in kW-Hr not kVA-Hr. There is no VAR
>penalty. If there were, a capactior could be used to correct the power
>factor.

That may change. If incandescents are banned as some propose, most
residential loads will be non-linear.

A capacitor does not solve the problem with switch mode power supplies. See
the Wikipedia article I referenced in my reply to Bobby G. Also see...

     http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=9862

which lists areas that have already mandated PFC for SMPS.

http://davehouston.net