Re: N:Vision CFL's

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>What will the power factor tell us?  I tested the 23W floodlight and the 14W
>bulbs and their PF is .61.  The old GE helical CFL comes in at .65.  A new
>60 watt incandescent reads .99 "pee effs" (-:

Wikipedia's article on Power Factor Correction gives a pretty good
explanation.

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_correction

If incandescents are banned, this may become more important. I believe
Europe already requires power factor correction for switch mode power
supplies although I do not know whether this extends to those used with
CFLs. I also do not know whether California (which has effectively banned
linear power supplies) requires PFC for switch mode supplies.

I think there were some reports on Don Klipstein's page (or maybe to one
linked to his) of CFL PFs as low as .35.

http://davehouston.net