Re: N:Vision CFL's

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 05:42:11 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<7JidnR3oxIIFb5nbnZ2dnUVZ_qLinZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>The Monterey detects no "signal sucker" effects from the bulbs when used in
>a table lamp, but I've had to change the way I test due to the strong
>signals emitted by the XTB.  I locate an outlet that's far enough away from
>the lamp and the test transmitter (both plugged into the same outlet strip)
>to register under 4 volts.  Then I swap out bulbs, looking for any change in
>readings. There were none.  Noise was reported to be about  10-12 millivolts
>in both bands that are tested.  That's quite acceptable.

This is consistent with what I previously reported, also qualitatively.

>I've found that the bulbs are dimmable - sort of - even though that use is
>disclaimed.  I'm amazed at how low they will dim - just a ghostly glow - but
>there's a dual pronged problem of both flicker and noise.  I'm going to run
>one for a few hundred hours in a dimmed mode to see if it causes early
>failure.  I have found that there are dim levels that minimize the buzz and
>flicker.

This is consistent with what I previously reported. With a dimmer that can be
accurately set every time (not, eg X-10  WS-467's ) the dimming function
would/will be completely useable if dimming doesn't damage the lamp and noise
is still in check.

One useful task would be to compare light output vs power (watts) consumed
for incandescents Vs the n:vision CFLs. The resulting efficacy curve should
significantly favor CFL's .

>On the whole, my impression is that these will be a great asset to X-10
>users as they appear to be the most X-10 friendly CFL's I've run across to
>date.  The price is entirely comparable to Target and War-Mart.  Thanks for
>the heads up, Marc.  CHA at its best!

What I have done, if anything, is counter-balance obsolete, bad advice with a
few facts. The vast majority of folks don't have to do anything more
complicated than "Just Do It".

Factoid reported by Lutron: The average number of light dimmers in US
households is 1.5.  Think about that in the context of how very little any of
the discussion in CHA means to most folks, and why CFLs make sense for the
vast majority of folks.

...Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org