Re: Need help for Engineering Management project

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney-99@hot-mail-com> wrote

BK>>>That's like asking deaf people to make musical instruments.

DH>> Or worse yet, asking a deaf person to compose some of the world's
greatest
DH>> symphonies for orchestras with numerous musical instruments. ;)

BK> Having played many musical instruments in my life I'm well aware of the
BK> difference between COMPOSERS and someone constructing an instrument.

http://www.delucaviolins.com/deluca-luthier.htm

"With his skill in design and woodworking and his love for the violin, it
was inevitable that he would turn to a career in violin making. He
apprenticed five years with Master Violin maker Benjamin F. Harrison of
Berkley, Michigan who had won numerous awards at the Violin Makers
Association of Arizona, International.

The unique feature in this apprenticeship was that Mr. Harrison was totally
deaf having lost his hearing in World War II. Prior to that he was an
excellent musician. DeLuca was taught to "tune" the various parts of the
violin using a tuning fork on the wood and feeling the vibrations through
his fingertips. His instruments have proven themselves by the numerous
awards he has won at the VMAAI as well as the satisfaction of his clients. "

Another cite:  http://www.geocities.com/~ukulele/kamaka.html

"Interestingly, two-thirds of Kamaka's craftsmen are handicapped - some are
deaf or have muscular dystrophy. Sam Kamaka began hiring the handicapped
back in the 50s, through the encouragement of his wife, Gerry, who is an
occupational therapist. It turns out that deaf people are very good at
making musical instruments, as they have a fine sense of touch and can gauge
the correct thickness of the sound boxes by drumming their fingers on the
wood and feeling the vibrations."

--
Bobby G.