Re: the light bulb police are coming

> So what IS the portion of the yearly average US electrical consumption
> devoted to residential lighting?

But does it really matter anyway?

There's an opportunity to use CFLs as a way to consume less electricity.
That it's not some humongous percentage really doesn't matter.  As my
grandmother used to say "take care of your pennies and the dollars will take
care of themselves".  So it only kicks the "numbers" down by some small
percentage, that's better than nothing.  Yeah, there's always larger
consequences and I'm sure someone can dredge up all sorts of reasons it's
"better" to continue using the simpler, but more wasteful, incandescent.
Penny-wise, pound-foolish more likely.

There's always issues of payback cycle, trust me when I say I'm familiar
with the concept.  I'd much rather have diesels in my boat but not at the
SIXTY THOUSAND dollar premium they gouge for them.  A 17yr payback cycle
just makes no economic sense.

Apropos of nothing, this reminded me of the old joke about running stop
signs.  When the motorist responds "I slowed down and looked, what's the
difference?".  So the cop pulls him outta the car and starts beating him
mercilessly.  In the process saying, would you prefer I stop or just "slow
down"?