Re: RFID Flap Silences Security Researchers

> Old news (from 3 weeks ago). That RFID
> devices can be cloned has been known
> for quite some time. I and at least one
> other person raised the issue here a few
> weeks back when someone was hawking
> his company's RFID operated locks.

A few weeks back?  The last post about RFID
from this gentleman was about six months ago.
Someone posted about his automated lock
products.  Mr. Houston opined that the RFID
devices could easily be cloned.  There was
discussion about it being unlikely that the
typical burglar would resort to such means.

As one gentleman mentioned in that thread,
most RFID tags have such a short read
distance that monitoring and cloning is
impractical at best.

RFID devices used in more public places
might be easier to compromise, given the
right hardware and know-how.  But those
used for single-family residential access
control should be relatively safe from this
sort of compromise.  As another gentleman
also mentioned, if it's harder to get in than
throwing a rock through a window, it's
[at least somewhat] secure.  (brackets mine)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics