>> That means residential lighting uses
>> 8.8/3 or 2.933% of total electricity,
>> not the 22% claimed in the article...
>
> Regardless what percentage of the total
> is used for lighting, each incremental
> step we take to reduce energy usage
> reduces pollution and reduces our
> dependence on foreign oil.  Since both
> of those are (IMO) worthwhile objectives
> I believe it's a good idea to use more
> efficient lighting.  That includes CFLs.

While every little bit does help, does it really make sense to spend
$2.50 for a CFL instead of a quarter for a bulb?  I use a lot of CFL's
but only in locations that are either a PITA to change a bulb or where I
want to reduce heat buildup.  Some disadvantages of CFL floods is their
warm up time. It can take a full minute before the light comes up to a
useable intensity. That's fine for the outdoor lights but doesn't cut it
for a closet or workshop.