Re: DST and My Computers

"David White" <whitedavidp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1vqdna6EgLMYuGnYnZ2dnUVZ_vLinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> (a) Download the timezone editor for Win98 from here
> (http://www.softshape.com/cham/manual/tzedit.htm). It is a
> self-extracting zip-executable. I would just extract the files into the
> Windows directory and leave them there.

As they point out at the site you've cited, folks may already have
tzedit.exe on their machines or CDs.  I found two copies already on my
machine, one in Program Files, the other in the directory
tools\reskit\config on the Windows installation CD (in case DL'ing from a
site named "softshape" gives anyone the willies or the heebie-jeebies! (-:

Oddly enough, the two files I found have different creation dates (4/3/98
and 5/11/98) and are capitalized differently but Windiff says they're
identical.

> (b) Run tzedit.exe. It should pop-up showing our timezone (GMT - 8)
> selected. If not, select it. Then press the edit button. Set the start
> day to be Second Sunday of March at 2am. Set the last day to First
> Sunday of November at 2am. Press OK, then close the Time Zone editor.
>
> (c) Very important - you are not done yet. Right click the start bar
> clock and choose adjust (or Date/Time from the control panel). Choose
> another timezone (say Arizona) and press ok/apply. Then choose back our
> real time zone (GMT - 8). This causes the info changed by step (b) to be
> read.
>
> You are done. This is a summary of the manual procedure shown at MS
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387/).

It's more than that, you've translated reams of MS registry-tweak geekspeak
into *usable* English!  That article is one of the worst examples of
techno-twaddle I've ever seen.

Following your instructions I was able to reselect the DST box and my
correct time zone (Eastern, not Atlantic!) and Dimension4 is reporting the
correct time.  Now I wait until November to see if it all really works!

Thanks!

--
Bobby G.