Re: Home Audio and Windows Vista

"isw" <isw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:isw-

<stuff snipped>

> I have no problem with the level of DRM that Apple implements; it's the
> draconian level that Vista uses that bothers me (and a lot of other
> folks as well).

Me too.  What also bothers me is that purchasers (well, more realistically
lessors) of Vista don't know how much of the product has been designed at
the behest of organizations (RIAA, MPAA, Disney) that didn't contribute a
cent to the purchaser's price of the product.  It's like paying to get
beaten up and robbed!  It's as bad as health care in the US where doctors
are beholden to the insurers who pay them, not the actual patients they
treat.

Buying Vista is like having someone build a house for you and then finding
your contract says that they can use half of that house to store their tools
and supplies.  And if you didn't call in every day to assure them that you
hadn't moved any of their tools or supplies nor done any unauthorized work
on your house, they can lock you out of it remotely.  And you have to let
them in to make any changes they want to any hour of the night or day, no
matter what *you* wanted to do with your house at the moment.  Oh, and after
5 years or so, you'll have to move out and buy a new house, whether you need
one or not.  People put up with such nonsense because they don't understand.

We can expect more and more limitations on the concepts of fair use and
actual product ownership until they both disappear completely.  I suspect by
the time the general public does understand what's happened, it will be too
late to reverse the process.

--
Bobby G.