Re: Anyone out there that can compare Charmed Quark to Girder?

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney-99@hot-mail-com> wrote in message

> Girder automates PC apps and has some pretty handy integration features
for
> devices.  CQC is a whole suite of automation apps designed for
client/server
> operation.  They're entirely different things.

I just bought an IRTrans USB Translator device, capable of receiving one IR
code and outputting another code or series of codes from its internal
database.  I got it so that when I got new gear for the AV room, I wouldn't
have to reprogram all the learning remotes around the house.  One session of
learning and translating codes and the new device can be operated from the
same old remotes via the Powermids.  More on that later in a separate
thread.

One of the pieces of SW that's cross-supported by the IRTrans device is
Girder Pro.  When I first began researching the IRTrans USB Translator I saw
a lot of references to Girder Pro.  From what I can tell, I think the souped
up "pro" version is much more than just an "app" automator and integrator.
The plain version appears to work as you describe, but the "pro" version:

http://www.smarthome.com/1433.html  sells for $149 and Smarthome claims:

<<30-day trial plug-in support for INSTEON available free from Promixis.com
Control your home automation system using your PC on site or over the Web
Supports a wide range of hardware -- including infrared audio/video devices

Control every aspect of your home's lighting, security, climate settings and
even entertainment components, even if you're not at home. The
INSTEON-Compatible Girder Pro Software provides an automation and
integration tool that sits in your computer notification area and watches
for specific events, such as the pressing of a light switch or a remote
button or even simply sundown. When it recognizes an event, this inclusive,
expandable software triggers one or more actions, such as turning on a light
or adjusting the thermostat. Smarthome does not accept returns on any opened
software.

Whether you want to manage your video and audio hardware, adjust your home
theater lighting, or program your security system, you can control and
automate it all with Girder. Plus, Girder's library contains hundreds of
plug-ins, pre-configured actions, and support for leading third party
hardware devices and software applications. In addition to a PC running this
software, all lights and appliances to be controlled will need to be
connected to X10-compatible, Z-Wave-compatible, or INSTEON-compatible
switches or plug-in modules; a $40 INSTEON plug-in is required to control
INSTEON-compatible devices, but a 30-day trial of this plug-in is available
free through Promixis.com. In order to communicate your commands to these
automation devices, you'll need a powerline interface. The
INSTEON-Compatible Girder Pro Software supports the PowerLinc Controller V2
USB or PowerLinc Controller V2 Serial, as well as the All Housecode RF
Transceiver for RF interfacing.

Easy to Use
Access and control your home automation system remotely from any
Internet-connected computer. The INSTEON-Compatible Girder Pro Software
features Web-based system control, so you'll be able to turn the heat on
before you head home from work, check your security system status, and
schedule lights to turn on at sundown. You'll appreciate the highly
customizable on-screen display for user notification, status reports and
menus.

Weather Application
Check the local weather remotely or the forecast for the next few days
through your system or remotely from any Internet-connected computer. The
INSTEON-Compatible Girder Pro Software has a weather application that
retrieves weather information and graphics for your current location from
the Internet and displays it on your screen.

Caller ID Application
If you have your telephone connected to your home automation system, you can
use the INSTEON-Compatible Girder Pro Software to show Caller ID information
on your monitor display when a new call is received. You can even have the
software announce your caller verbally using the software's voice
application. Girder can convert text messages into speech >>

That sounds like something I'd be interested in.  I'm not sure I like the
idea of each resident needing a license to use the software, but if the fees
are reasonable, it's not too big an issue because the base price is low.
But I'd really like to hear from someone actually using the Girder Pro
software before I plunk down $150 for the non-returnable package.

It sounds like I could design a screen that I could pipe throughout the
house on a modulator that could show weather, time, alarm status and maybe
even a window with live front door CCTV feeds.  The things that CQ users
were doing with their systems was very impressive but the price would have
made it the most expensive piece of SW I own, except, ironically, another
product with a sub-atomic twist, Quark Express, the DTP package.  $150 is
more my speed.

--
Bobby G.