Re: X-10 AV switcher

"Frank Mc Alinden" <Frank.Mc.Alinden.2qwfq4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message news:Frank.Mc.Alinden.2qwfq4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi Bobby
>
> How about this device
> http://www.hacs.com/avs-8x8.html

The AVS-8X8 arrived and it's *exactly* what I wanted.  Switching can be done
via IR, X-10 or RS-232.  Comes with its own IR remote and is designed so
that a PalmPad can do the switching.  To connect input 1 to output 7 you
just press 1 ON, 7 OFF and you're done.  An unexpected benefit is each
output has trimmer pots so that all the audio can be precisely balanced.
Finally, I can compensate for my Sony DVD jukebox that always suffered from
weaker audio output than my other AV components.  I love it when something
not only gets the basic job done, but adds a side-benefit as well!

The unit has gold plated RCA connectors, comes with a power supply and
remote and also has screw down-type wire inputs and outputs for connection
to hardwired IR systems.  It was a little pricey, but since it's hand-made,
I don't mind.  It arrived very quickly, was well packed and the builder was
very responsive to all my questions.  I plugged it into a TW523 and then set
a TM751 and a PalmPad to housecode "H" and I was on my way.  It also
responds to commands from PLC-only devices like MaxiControllers.

Looks like it's supported by a number of HA software vendors, as well, but I
can't comment on that since I'm just using it manually.  The IR control is
designed to operate just like the PalmPad, an excellent example of good
human factors engineering by presenting a consistent user interface.  Also
works quite nicely from the X-10 UR24 8-in-1 remote, though that does take
two extra button presses.  I'd love to figure out how to just get it to step
through the inputs in serial order when I press a channel up or down button.

I haven't popped the cover to see whether it's assembled as well as the gold
standard of human-soldered HA gear, Jeff's XTB's, but the AVS-8x8 looks very
professional on the outside and it's getting the job done and sometimes,
that's all that matters.

Nice catch, Frank.  Thanks, mate!

--
Bobby G.