Re: XTB-II Enhanced Repeater

"Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:cqBdi.4440$%t6.1587@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> As someone else pointed out, reception of that command transmitted on the
>> powerline may
>> be questionable.
>>
>> What would be easy to do would be to send a X10 coded command out the
>> TW523 digital port. So an automation controller could log that event,
>> possibly with a time stamp.
>
> OK, now I only feel half as dumb.  :^)

I'm not sure why you think that lets you off the hook on your first
suggestion.

A transmission storm is usually from either a stuck button on a controller
or palm-pad, or from two-way modules playing ping-pong with a repeater.
Neither of those would involve communication with an automation controller
that interfaces through the TW523 port on the XTB-IIR (except for relaying
the bogus traffic).  So if the XTB-IIR was smart enough to stop repeating
the bogus traffic, it could then issue a message to the automation
controller (through the digital port - NOT the powerline) that it had shut
down its repeater.  The automation controller could log that event, and
possibly sound an alarm if it has hardwire I/O capability, such as the
Ocelot.

Since the XTB-IIR output is much stronger than other line traffic, it
actually could send a signal over the powerline.  I have tested it here
punching a signal through a X10 filter.  So if an alarm module was plugged
into the powerline through a filter, that might receive a command sent by
the XTB-II while not seeing the communication storm.  However, that would
not be guaranteed to work, and the digital link directly to the automation
controller would provide a much better communication path.

Jeff