Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

> I want the government to step in to help fix
> the problem...

You're dreaming.  If the people don't care
enough to fix their own behavior, there's no
chance our industry-owned congress and
our moronic president will do anything for us.
They don't care and if you don't care enough
to stop polluting neither will they.

> Instead of mandating that everyone switch
> to CFL bulbs...

There is no such mandate.  You've been
told that before but you keep repeating the
same thing.

> The CFL proponents confuse amelioration with
> solution.  That's dangerous.

That sounds nice but it's wrong.

>>> Perhaps "cleaner coal" would be a more accurate
>>> description.   As long as the true costs are masked
>>> (the environmental damage from mining and
>>> transport, as you've noted) the cost equations are
>>> always going to be easily manipulated.
>>
>> I guess you must agree that scrubbers, which do
>> nothing about mining and transportation, will not
>> solve the problem.
>
> "The problem" up until your last paragraph has
> been:  Is it a good idea to fight mercury with
> mercury?

Bullshit!  You are still ignoring the facts.

> If you want to consider collateral issues there are
> certainly lots of problems with using coal for power.
> Yet we can all be assured that it's going to continue
> for decades, so we had better get to work, and
> quickly, to solve as many of those problems as we
> can as directly as we can.

One way to reduce mercury pollution and greenhouse
gas emission is to reduce demand.  CFLs are a valid
part of that.

> That's bound to produce better results, in the long
> run, than 6% of the population using CFL bulbs in
> half the fixtures in their homes...

The objective is to get much greater participation.
I've been studying the issue and have decided to
replace most of the fixtures in both my homes with
CFLs.  My wife, without even bringing it up, already
replaced some of the bulbs in our Brazilian place.

BTW, there's an added benefit to using CFLs for
many modern homes.  Our ceilings are 12 to 14 feet
high.  Replacing bulbs in most of them requires
climbing a step ladder.  Due to health problems that's
difficult for me at present.  CFLs last so much longer
that I won't need to deal with the ladder as often.  I
just checked and there are more than 20 recessed
light fixtures.  As each bulb goes we'll replace it and
the others in the same room.  That will reduce one
difficult job on my wife's honey-do list.

> hoping that small number of bulbs is somehow
> going to reduce huge quantities of mercury from
> entering the air, the ground, the water and the
> food chain.

Again, you're being misleading.  No one said that.
The plan is to use an increasing number of high-
efficiency bulbs to reduce total electric demand.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics