Re: @#$%^& X10 hardware

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 06:04:18 -0600, Neil Cherry wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:20:36 -0500, Robert Green wrote:
>> "Neil Cherry" <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> I've got ghosts! My X10 hardware is not working. My ESM1 says it sees
>>> valid and strong X10 signal (and is quiet the rest of the time for the
>>> most part) but the device next to it fails to work (same power
>>> strip). I've used 3 different modules and 3 different transmitters.  I
>>> can see the commands on the line but the devices won't react! (???!)
>>> This is driving me crazy! I'm going to have to put together my sniffer
>>> and see what's going on. This makes no sense!
>>
>> Sounds weird.  What kind of modules and transmitters?  What have you changed
>> recently in your home?  Any new devices?
>
> I don't think so, really need to double check. The Christmas lights
> went up but they're not the type with a power supply. I think I've got
> it down to being in my computer room as the devices that are side by
> side won't work (the garage light, which is on the other phase will).
>
> I'm currently working with the TI103 and the CM11A.
>
> One thing to note is that we took a power hit when this started and
> I've been seeing various house codes that I don't use being sent. So I
> have a nasty problem that's going to cause me to sit down and isolate
> circuits. I'll start by removing devices in my computer room. I think
> I need to order some chips from Jameco. I need to button up the X10
> sniffer and put an opto on the serial port to make is safer and
> portable.

OK, I've a little further progress on this subject. Today I was trying
out Mark Gilmore's ECS (http://www.omnipotencesoftware.com/) software
with my Insteon USB PLC. After some time of fighting with the PLC
(it's behavior didn't follow the Insteon documentation, grrr). Anyway
I had some of my Insteon working and I had some of the X10 working
(more than previous) and it managed to get worse as the day progressed
right back to the previous odd behavior. What I have discovered is
that the signal is partially getting out. The first half seems strong
enough at about 4V. But the second half is getting garbled or not sent
at all. While the X10 looks valid the command D1 D1 DON DON gets sent
as D1 D1 B5. As the day progressed the Insteon would work also. The
Insteon PLC is now flickering, not blinking but flickering like
traffic is being sent. This pretty much keeps the PLC from sending
anything. The T1103 works but that seems to be it.

My next course of action is the start tearing everything out and add
one thing at a time until the network fails. I have a feeling that the
problem may be related to the cheap Geek Squad UPS units I have.
They're behind filters but I still suspect them.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx