Re: New home - Essential Wiring?

> I have cat 5 cable run to all the rooms
> but i was curious as to weather i should
> run it to the thermostat and or utility
> closet?

Absolutely.  Also run CAT5 from the wiring closet to the furnace room.

In addition to data cable, consider running wire (22/4 solid) for door sensors and motion detectors.  This will give whatever home
automation system you choose a way to know when people enter/exit and when someone is at home.

Many of my home automation clients also like to wire the windows if they can be opened from the outside.  By "bugging" the windows
and doors you provide the HA system with the ability to protect against burglary -- a nice fringe benefit.  The magnetic sensors
(called "contacts") for protecting doors and windows are quite inexpensive, on the order of $2-4 apiece.

Some people like to wire for remote speakers which can connect to the home's main stereo system.  This can be as simple as 16/4
stranded cable running to a volume control located next to the light switch in each room and 16/2 running from there to the two
speakers.  More elaborate systems require a CAT5 cable run to the volume control as well.  You can even run shielded video cable to
the rooms if you like.

There are lots more things which you can prewire for at this stage but those are some of the most commonly done.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics