Re: automation for dust collector

> I have a wood shop in my basement and would
> like to automate the startup/shutdown of my
> dust collector unit.  It is a 220v unit plumbed
> to 4 separate power tools (3 are 110v, 1 is 220v).
> My ideal configuration would be to have the dust
> collector start immediately when any of the 4
> tools are powerd on, and remain on for a few
> seconds after the tool is turned off.

Hi Hank,

Use current sensing switches at the breaker panel
to throw a timer any time the tools are in use. You'll
need at least 2 sensors since the 220VAC tool is
on a separate breaker pair from the others.  The
timer should be set to stay on while the trigger is
hot and then begin a countdown to shutoff.  Altronix
and ELK Products both make a number of timers.
ELK also makes a decent 220VAC relay which can
be controlled by low voltage and/or X10 signal.  I
prefer the wired input to X10 but it does give you
the option.

The ELK control module is their model ELK-9100.
There's detailed info on it at:
www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-9100.htm

The ELK-960 is a timer module.  Here's a URL for it:
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-960.htm

Altronix' timer is model 6062.  Following is the URL:
http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=6062

Finally, the Altronix relay module is a RAC120:
http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=RAC120

Note that the ELK module is the only one that's
fully enclosed.  In a dust environment that might
be the better choice.  It is also designed to be
installed directly onto an electrical cabinet,
making it possible to fit the unit onto the outside
of the breaker panel similar to a doorbell
transformer.

There are lots of other good brands available.
I happen sell ELK and Altronix online so I'm a
little biased in their favor.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass