Re: Why deliberately shorting equipment to blow breakers might be a bad idea . . .

Well I am the poster who checks breakers by shorting:(

First I turn OFF the breaker!

Then I check its dead with a test lamp or meter!

Then I short it intentionally just in case!

Over the years this method has saved me from some possibly nasty
shocks:)

I have discovered boxes fed with multiple power sources in one box,
never a good idea if you ask me......

I have also discovered some bad breakers that didnt trip under full
short. On these I replaced all the breakers in the panel

Also leared FPE stab lock breakers are a known fire hazard......

I dont believe theres a difference between a intential or accidental
short, the breakers should trip either way. 100% of the time. and
become more sensitive to overloads as they age.....

For good reasons soon ALL receptables will be GFCI and arc fault
protected