Re: Hawking Technologies Unveils HomeRemote At CES

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:04:10 -0500, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney-99@hot-mail-com>
wrote in message  <wMWdnXqmFt3W3D_YnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>This year could be very interesting for remotes.  Windows has a feature
>called "side show" that a couple of new remotes have announced using.  It'll
>be interesting to see if/when they ship and how usable they are.  But a
>working, cost-effective, bi-directional remote with an LCD screen would be a
>very interesting breakthrough for the home.  Not that a wifi PDA doesn't do
>much of the same thing.

RicaVision's  Microsoft SideShow Remote Control
for Windows Media Center with  "IR + Class 1 Bluetooth with 100 Meter
Operating Radius" is an example of the two-way MS MCE / VISTA devices Bill
writes above. Supposedly shipping for $199 in April 2007. (~Same price and
timeframe as the Hawking Z-wave device.)

http://www.ricavision.net/brochure/sideshow_remote.pdf

(See also Ricavision's  IR +BlueTooth receiver:
http://www.ricavision.net/brochure/receiver.pdf )

I'm still waiting for a laser remote. If I point the remote at the ceiling
fan it should know that I want to control the fan and not the video screen.
Had I wanted to control the video screen, I would have pointed it there, no?
Just as when I want to add milk to the grocery order, I point the remote at
the milk container, not the cereal box.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org